Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Couch is My Best Friend

And I think that's the way its going to be for the rest of the day.
I have been hit with that yucky cold that's going around and try as I might to get through my work day today, I still ended up coming home around 11:00 a.m.
So, for now, the couch is my office (because, yes, I am still working- I can't stop!). 

It's amazing how my sick days have evolved through the years, so, I thought I'd dwell on some of these. 

The first recollection I ever have of being "sick" was when I was four.
I was in preschool and my family was living in Great Falls at the time. I woke up in the middle of the night and got sick. My dad wasn't with us, I think he was on a business trip, but my mom stayed up with me all night. When morning came, I remember her asking me if I felt okay enough to go to school or if I needed to go to Jan's. Jan was my daycare provider who got me hooked on Ramen noodles. She would take care of me some days when I was sick but it wasn't very fun because I had to lay in bed downstairs and I couldn't get up to do anything. I proudly told my mom I wanted to go to school and then went to tell everyone how I had thrown up the night before. I think I got into a little bit of trouble because I couldn't keep my big mouth shut about that and my mom was asked why I was at school if I was telling everyone I'd gotten sick. Oops.

Then there was the chicken pox. I got them twice- hurrah- both times in first grade. We were living in Cincinnati at the time and I remember looking down at the reddish-brown spots and just itching. The first time I got them wasn't so bad, but I got to go over to some lady's house who took care of me. I only missed two days of school and was pretty bummed about it. The next time I got the chicken pox was Easter. I woke up Easter morning ready to find my Easter basket and put on my new dress only to find myself covered head to toe with the chicken pox. IT WAS AWFUL and I cried and cried. Not because I was sick, but mainly because I thought I'd ruined Easter. My parents were such troopers, though. Even though we couldn't go to church we still dressed up in our Easter clothes and there are still pictures of my brother and I dressed up with our baskets. The only thing that's off is that I am covered in white dots where the medicine was applied all over. I ended up having to stay home I think for a whole week with that. My brother got it shortly after me. Ha ha. 

From there my sick days evolved into bronchitis. Something I would get continually throughout the winter when we'd moved back to Great Falls. I remember the very first day I got to stay home alone- thinking I was so cool- despite the fact that I couldn't talk without hacking up a lung. I would get to set up camp in the basement of our house on the old green couch that looked like camouflage with the remote in hand. My parents, either my mom or dad, would call routinely to check up on me and one of them would usually come home with a milkshake for me on their lunch hours. Yum.

My Grandma and Grandpa Swan who live in Great Falls both retired soon after we moved back and thus my sick days evolved from staying at home alone to spending my days with Grandma and Grandpa. I have wonderful memories of waking up from medicine induced naps to a chocolate milkshake from my Grandpa. watching Disney movies and the lunches of tomato soup and grilled cheese. I was very spoiled and if you can't already tell, I have certain comfort foods I need to have when I'm sick :)

Sick days in Great Falls transformed into sick days in Phoenix. I would stay at home alone, camped out on the couch. I remember my sophomore year of high school I ended up having to go to the Emergency Room because I had an infection in the lining of my lungs. That was the most school I missed since I had the chicken pox and my dad ended up staying home with me the whole time which was nice :) I got to watch a lot of movies with him. 

And now, in my twenties, my sick days haven't changed too much. I have gradually gotten more stubborn about staying at home, like today when I tried to go to work. My sick days have become less frequent. There are still moments of absolute standstill- I had my appendix out my sophomore year of college and my mom actually flew up to Missoula to stay with me because I basically was bedridden for two days and then needed a lot of help getting around after that. 

All in all, despite the terribleness of being sick, most of my life has been surrounded by wonderful people who helped in every way at making me better. I only hope that in the future, I can do the same for them- or at least repay their generosity in the way I treat my own family when they are sick.

So, yeah- that's all I have to say as I lounge on the couch sick today. There isn't a lot to do when you're pregnant and you can't take any medicine to feel better. BOO!
But, at least I've got a good book and non-stop reruns of Project Runway Season Two running. There might be a nice long nap crammed into my busy day too, I just don't know yet. 

No comments: