On Tuesday night I made Double Onion Beef Brisket.
Here's what you need:
- 4 pounds ( I used three) of brisket. You can buy it pre-cut and everything from Safeway!
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Rube this on both sides of the brisket
- 3 cups of onions. I used one and a half because Jeff doesn't like lots of onions.
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup of chili sauce. I looked for this everywhere and couldn't find it! So I was only slightly panicking looking through my cupboards and I decided to hot some of Jeff's green and red hot sauces (the kind with some safety labels on them because they're so hot). I combined them and distilled it with a little bit of water.
- 1 cup of cider vinegar. I like the smell of vinegar. Is that gross? It reminds me of easter eggs.
What to do:
Brown the brisket for about 8 minutes on each side. Make sure you put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pan before you do this. After you've done that, remove the brisket and dump the onions into the pan. Stir them until they are browned/carmelized. Then put half of the onions at the bottom of the crockpot and then pour in all of the rest of the ingredients and top with the rest of the onions.
Cook on high for 6 hours. After three hours, if you can flip the brisket over for a nice even cook.
The recipe suggests serving it with mashed potatoes, but I served it with a flavored rice (mushroom). Jeff thought he'd died and gone to heaven.